Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross gush about Super Metroid in this centennial episode of Watch Out for Fireballs!
"Break Glass in Case of Emergency". There's a whole category of game that Gary and I avoid playing for the show. They're in the upper echelon. They're top tier. If we brought them out regularly, everything else would feel like a chore.
But sometimes it's a special occasion, and you have to bring out the fine china. And Super Metroid is some fine, fine China. On one hand, it's an expansion and elaboration on the stuff that made Metroid 1 and 2 unique. On the other, it's a foundational text that cemented a whole new genre in place. Listen, as we break the glass and talk about one of the best games of all time.
But first, get hyped by watching this trailer, created for us by Allison Baker: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGM20MejGGg
LINKS OF NOTE:
- [Really cool Super Metroid speedrun](www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfV8IhsHq0)
- [What We Talk About...](en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_We_Tal…_Talk_About_Love)
- [Castlevania 64](www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O2PTrBlcPM)
- [James Adomian is amazing](www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyo9b4_6iY)
- [Wolverine Origins](en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_%28comics%29)
- [Parish rules. Anatomy of Super Metroid](www.anatomyofgames.com/2014/03/10/th…uper-metroid/)
- [Butter Avengers](images.dailykos.com/images/141704/l….jpg?1430789335)
- [Teenage Dirtbags Preview and Amazing Video](www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaCZN2N6Q_I)